Tuesday 3 February 2015

The 1 year checkup

Sticky had her 1 year checkup yesterday which included her needles and a basic health check. The needles were fine but the health check was not so good.

Overall, everything was fine. She's doing all the gross and fine movement she's meant to, talking above average and is growing well - 76cm. However, she lost significant weight while she was sick and is now only 7.8 kgs. This means she's dropped from the 10th to the 3rd percentile for weight. What's really scary is at 1 year old, she only weighs 5 kgs more than when she was born!

She's clearly making up for it by eating and drinking more. Now she's onto cows milk, she's drinking between 1 litre and 1.5 litres a day! Apparently this is too much but given she will scream hysterically if she doesn't get more, I give it to her. 

The health nurse told me not to worry but how can I not. Being so thin makes her seem so much more vulnerable to things. And, I know that being so thin makes her more prone to colds, flus and other illnesses. So I am worried. In fact, I got a little teary when I saw the scale because last time I weighed her she was 9kgs! It's just so much weight for a little person to loose.

I know there isn't a lot I can do about it. She's eating well overall and I'm encouraging her to eat more carbs and dairy food, along with her fruit and veges. I know it's her genetic makeup that will make her talk and thin so all of that is fine. But, as winter draws near, I'm fighting hard to fatten her up so I can try and keep her healthy. 

This is not the biggest burden to bear when so many other things could happen but it still remains a challenge. Weight is so important for her gross motor development and overall health so it can impact so many things. On the bright side, I'll remind her of this when she's 15 and complaining about her weight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...