Wednesday 28 January 2015

The plight of the working mother

Apologies for not posting for a while. As the title suggests, adjusting to life as a working mother has presented its challenges. Needless to say, I've come to the realization it's highly over rated!

Today makes my 4th week back at work. I'm slowly adjusting but I'm yet to start work feeling calm and relaxed. Trying to get he 3 of us out of the house by 7am is proving to be enormously stressful. Some minor, or major issue happens every time, which leaves me stressed and anxious.

Today it was Sticky waking up saturated because she had drunk half a liters of milk between 6pm and 9pm last night. She wouldn't stop screaming unless I have it to her so clearly she was starving. So this meant I had to strip her, and her bed, wash the sheets, then wait for them to put in the dryer.

It also meant we ran out of her milk so I had to give her the low fat stuff which she wasn't particularly keen on. Which meant we then had to stop to get a bottle of milk to take to daycare for her. I proceeded to drop the milk as I was trying to get her out of the car, so luckily plastic bounces!

Now I've learnt that something happens every day I go to work, I now get up at 5:30am so I have time to cope with it. I get myself ready before getting her up unless she wakes up first. I make her yoghurt pouches for breakfast so she can feed herself while I get ready. I have her milk ready so she can lay down with her bottle as I finish getting ready. 

All of this is on top of writing her name on her nappies, packing her lunchbox and packing her bag the night before. I search the house to find her hat and her water bottle. I make sure the spare clothes are ready to go. I pack my lunch and get something out for dinner for the next night.  My husband then has the nerve to tell me I need to go to bed earlier. Perhaps if he was writing her name on the nappies that might happen!

I once organised an event for 10,000 people and it took less effort than all of this. I have no idea how unorganized mothers to it!

I know every working mother goes through this. It's just the dance we do to get our children and husbands out of the door. But, it's exhausting and I'm enormously glad I only do it 2 days a week. It will be a while before I'm ready to go to 3. 

Honestly, I wonder if it's all worth it. Do we need the money that badly? Do I need the mental stimulation that badly? Do I need to get out of the house that badly? Those questions remain unanswered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...