Tuesday 11 February 2014

Devoted Daddy


I knew having a baby would change my relationship with my husband. I expected the exhaustion and stress to strain our relationship but instead it's strengthened it. I shouldn't have underestimated the power of the Devoted Daddy.
My heart melted when I took this photo. He sat there patting Sticky with this huge grin on his face. When I asked him what he was smiling about tears welled in his eyes and he simply shook his head. He didn't need to say anything - I knew exactly what he meant because I felt the same.

It's funny how having a baby has made me love my husband even more. He is totally smitten with our daughter and is a very hands on Dad. I'm so lucky he's been able to be at home with me for so long. God knows I wouldn't have survived these first few weeks without him. He's not only had to help look after the baby, but also look after me and my recovery after the operation. It's been a physical and emotional recovery, with me in tears on a regular basis. But, through all the challenges we've had in the past three weeks, he has remained calm, consistent and carried on as a devoted husband and father.

I am so proud of his efforts particularly given he hasn't had a relationship with his own father so he's had to develop his father child relationship from scratch. He gleefully changes nappies, helps me with the 3 AM feed, or gives Sticky her bottle. At times when it's time to lay her down he pouts because he doesn't want to put her down. If I let him, he would hold her all day everyday.

Seeing the love he has for her and their special relationship develop, often brings tears to my eyes. She is such a lucky girl to have such wonderful father and I am such a lucky girl to have such a wonderful husband. As strong as us women are, and often try to be, it's become clear to me that I would be nothing without the love and support of this wonderful man. I am most definitely counting my blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...