Monday 17 February 2014

Time slipping away

Sticky was four weeks old yesterday. I can't believe how quickly that time has gone. In a blink of an eye she will be six years old, heading off to school. I must remind myself to make the most of every moment I have because the sand is most definitely slipping through the hourglass.

Sticky is changing every day. She's put on over 400 grams in the past 10 days so is starting to fill out. I see her cheeks starting to get a chubbiness about them and filling out. It makes me very happy to see some meat finally getting on her bones.

She's also becoming more alert and I see her constantly scanning the world around her. As I feed her, she looks up at her toy shelf. I wonder what she makes of the cabbage patch kid, the pink teddy, the stuffed cat, a little Yoda and a large Garfield staring back at her. I'm sure she's fascinated by the colours, shapes, and different textures. It won't be long before she's grasping them all, trying to decide which one to take out with her for the day.

I've also started to get us into a better routine. It means I have more certainty of when she's awake and it means she's more alert in her feeds. She stares up at me with her big blue eyes as she lays on my stomach. I've decided to make the most of this newfound interest and have started reading to her as she feeds. I figure it's never too early to start.

The rate of her development right now is mind blowing. Each day is different to the previous one so no two are the same. Knowing this makes it easier if I've had a bad day because I go to bed knowing tomorrow will be different. The one thing each day has in common though, is I find myself at some point, eagerly waiting for her to wake up, just so I can see her. 

The days are filled with tiny little moments - like this afternoon when I went to burp her and she stared straight into my eyes. I took a moment just to watch her and try to capture the moment in my memory to store it there forever. I know these are the little things that can pass you by and go unnoticed and forgotten. How, I'm not sure because having my daughter stare straight into my eyes was such a powerful moment I never want to forget it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...