Friday 11 October 2013

Fabulous Friday


Today I celebrate the fabulousness of friendship. I’ve been feeling disconnected from my friends over the past few weeks and this week they reminded me of how valued and treasured they are.

Four different friends contacted me this week – 2 didn’t know about my depression and were just checking in with me while the other 2 that did know, wanted to make sure I was ok. One friend left a fabulous voice mail message that said “I hope you’ve had a great week and if not, I’m sending lots of hugs and kisses your way.” I haven’t had a good week. I’ve had a really difficult week so hearing that warmed my heart.

It’s funny how life events reshape your garden of friends. Some will grow and thrive with you and others will die a natural death. While I mourn the death of some, I focus on the strength of others, especially given the difficulties I’m having. So many friends have provided me with so much love, support and advice through my pregnancy. Some have just been there to hold my hand or lend a listening ear. Some have provided shopping lists on everything you need for a baby. Some have bought wine to make sure my husband doesn’t miss out. All of them have played an important role and I treasure all of their love.

One friend told me yesterday how I might make new friends at my hospital and breast feeding classes which are coming up in November. I hadn’t even thought about that. I was thinking much further down the track like play groups and mother group. But, she’s right. Any social interaction like that brings the possibility of meeting new people who are experiencing the same thing at the same time and I think those people will play an important role in my life.

I know I will lose more friends as my life continues to move on an opposite path to them, and I know some friendships will become stronger. For my friends who are on their own journey of trying to fall pregnant, I hope I can provide them with as much support and advice as what others have given me. That’s why I make an effort to share all the details of my journey – both good and bad – so when their time comes, they know I am at least one person they can come to that’s been through it all. Sometimes, all we want in life is to know someone else knows how we feel.


So, my advice to you on this Fabulous Friday, if there’s a friend you haven’t spoken to or connected with in a while, send them a text or email or give them a call. You just never know how deeply in need they may be to hear your voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...