Thursday 3 October 2013

Pregnancy frustrations


As this pregnancy progresses, there are a few things I’m really starting to get over. They are the frustrations that can add seconds, which add up to minutes, which add up to hours of your life over your 40 week confinement. Then, there are just the stupid things people say that make you want to punch them in the face. Here are my gripes.

Hand washing – I have never washed my hands so much in my life. Of course it’s probably a good habit to get into, but I literally wash my hands whenever I touch something which may have germs on it. I also try to wash my hands before I eat anything which is of course regularly. I am noticing my hands are getting drier as a result which means my consumption of hand cream has increased significantly.

Reheating food – You’re told to reheat food until it’s steaming hot. Again, probably a good habit to get into but I am so over the constant burnt tongue I get from my food being so ridiculously hot. I know, I should probably stop rushing into eating, but what’s the point of heating your food to such a level that you then have to wait 5 minutes before you can eat it?

Not eating fetta – You have no idea how many things fetta is in until you can’t eat it. It’s alright if it’s cooked, but everytime I absent mindly order something innocent looking and fetta turns up in it, I have to spend minutes painstakingly trying to remove all trace elements of it.  Bean sprouts are the same – since when did they become the garnish of the moment!

Crispy bacon – Given I can’t have ham, bacon is my pork cut of choice. But, it needs to be extra crispy and cooked all the way through. This means I have to wait longer to cook it and remember to ask for it extra crispy at cafes. I then have to spend extra time cutting out all the bits that aren’t cooked enough, or send it back to be cooked for longer.

Weight comments – So far, I really haven’t had too many comments on my weight. Probably because I’m still not showing that much. But, what did annoy me is a friend’s husband making a stupid comment on Facebook telling me not to put on 30 kilos, and reminding me 13 is all I needed to put on. Well thanks for that Captain Obvious I think I’ve got it covered. It takes a pretty brave person to comment on a pregnant woman’s weight and luckily for him he lives in another country.

Ok, I feel better now. I think after burning my tongue on lunch today, I just needed to release the pent up frustrations. I do release that it’s entirely my choice to manage my pregnancy by doing these things. Lots of women just don’t bother. But, it’s a commitment I made to myself, my husband and to Sticky to have as healthy pregnancy as I could. So, I accept it, but it doesn’t mean I don’t get annoyed by it!


And as I type all of this, Sticky has rolled over so I realise that it will all be worthwhile in the end. And really, what’s 40 weeks out of your entire life!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...