Wednesday 21 May 2014

Teething torture

It seems Sticky has officially started teething. There isn't a tooth insight yet, but something tells me I'm going to need all my mummy strength to get through this!

Whenever anyone asks how Sticky sleeps, and I say really well, they all reply "wait until she starts teething." I always knew this would be the case and was prepared for it. But, it's a little hard to adjust to when it comes out of no where!

Sticky went to sleep at 6:30 last night and I thought it was because she'd had a 3 hour nap in the morning and was still getting over her needles. I sat down in front of the tv expecting a peaceful night. She had other plans.

She woke up at 7:30 and that was it. I tried to put her down at 8:30 and managed to get her down at 1am. My husband lasted until midnight when I kicked him out into he spare bed so he could get a decent night sleep. She was so unsettled that everytime I had got her to sleep and put her in the cot, she would wake up and start screaming again.

Exhausted, I put her into bed with me. I didn't really want to but figured it was going to be one of those nights. I was right - having to resettle her at 3am and 6:30am. As a result, we didn't get out of bed until 9am and the day's routine is gone. But, I figure in these situations, the routine just has to bend.

Given she can't tell me her mouth hurts, I have to go on what I can see - she's off her food, not sleeping well, chewing her hand, her temperature is up, she's grumbling and clingy and just out of sorts.  She's certainly not my normal, happy bundle but is still smiley and giggly so long as I engage with her.

I know we have to go through this as part of her development and I'm ok with the lack of sleep. It's seeing her cry and grumble and be in discomfort and not being able to do anything about it that kills me. But, I know we have a long teething road ahead of us so I'm taking my teaspoon of cement and reaching for the big girl pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...