Friday 8 August 2014

Fabulous Friday

Happy Fabulous Friday all! What's fabulous about today is happy babies!
Sticky has been a total joy the past 2 days. She's been cooing, laughing, talking, singing and even dancing. She goes into her own little world of enjoying whatever moment she's in and throws herself into experiencing it. It melts my heart to see it.

I've been trying to sneak up on her and just watch her. Trying to get her in a moment when she doesn't know I'm there is difficult because she has keen senses and knows when I'm there. Whenever she senses me, she looks up at me and gives me this beaming grin. I could just eat her up!

I wish I could freeze her in this moment forever. Where her life is so full of joy and wonder. Where she's learning so many knew things at a startling pace. Where she's happy just singing and talking to herself. Where she's still small enough to fit into the crook of my arm. 

Seeing her like this has been a huge wake up call for me. The past few weeks I've been focused on getting my business ready and it means I've been sacrificing time with her. I make sure I have play time and read to her every day, and I sit and have my coffee with her, but I sit on the computer while she plays on the floor and turn around when she calls me. It's not really active parenting.

I've realised that she will be in this moment for such a short period of time. These moments are so fleeting and if I don't take time to sit in it and experience it with her, I will lose it. And once lost, it will be gone forever. I'd rather stay up to midnight getting my work done than risk losing that!

So today, I just sat on the floor with her. I passed her toys from her toy box, made a trumpet out of a toilet roll, picked up her rattle when she threw it and sang when she wanted to sing. I sat her on my lap as we did Giddy Up Neddy and showed her the fruit and vegetables in the garden as we watered the lawn. To some, this would no doubt sound like a list of menial and boring tasks. To me, it's a description of one of the most productive, valuable and meaningful days of my life. 

The interesting thing is, as I've been preparing for my business, I came across this poem. The timing couldn't be more perfect!


A Mother's Wish by Anon

I hope my child looks back on today
And sees a mother who had time to play.

There will be years for cleaning and cooking,
But children grow up when you're not looking.

Tomorrow I'll do all the chores you can mention
But today, my baby needs time and attention.

So settle down cobwebs; dust go to sleep,
I'm cuddling my baby, and babies don't keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...