Wednesday 13 August 2014

Raise our babies right

A few weeks ago, I was watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy. One of the characters said, "This is the way the world changes - by good people raising their babies right." It's stuck with me ever since!

I was enormously moved yesterday by the death of Robin Williams, as so many millions were. I grew up with him, from the Mork and Mindy days, through to Aladdin, Good Will Hunting and the countless movies I saw him. As someone who suffered depression, I could sympathize with the pain he must have been in and it broke my heart to think he had no other choice but to take his own life.

Yesterday was a pretty bleak day. The news was full of disaster, hatred and pain. From bodies being identified from the MH17 disaster, to a school being bombed in Gaza, children being sent to war and of course Robin's death. I was overwhelmed with the state our world is in and that quote once again came into my mind.

I decided to make my own little cause - a cause to pledge to raise my baby right. To teach her love, acceptance and peace, instead of hatred, rejection and war. It doesn't take much to do. Funnily enough, it takes less time to love than it does to hate but so many of others are so quick to hate and judge. Well, I've drawn a line in the sand to say no more.

Right now, this is not the world I want my daughter growing up in. I never underestimate the power of one, but if this is my one little way of doing what I can to try and make the world a better place for her, then I can start by simply deciding to raise her right. No matter what your religion, sex, race, gender or appearance, we are all capable of love and all deserve to be loved. If that's the only lesson I teach her in life, she'll be off to a good start.

If you would like to make the same pledge, you can like and share the Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...