Monday 14 April 2014

Baby workout

Sticky was 12 weeks old yesterday and has definitely made the transition from newborn to baby. So, I decided it was time to get us into a proper routine and start focusing on developing her skills. Baby workout has begun!

The main reason I haven't got us into a proper routine is it has been too much of a struggle to get up and start the day at the same time. I know it's just an excuse, but as we've dealt with night feeds, restless nights and various other challenges, I just didn't have the energy. Now I've got Sticky sleeping through the night, I think it's time. 

From today, I'm getting her up at 7:30am to start the day. I'm getting up at 6:30am so I can have breakfast before I get her up. She stays awake for between 1.5 and 2 hours now so I know I can structure the day around that. However,  success requires me not letting her sleep more than 2 hours which I have been doing until now. I'm hoping that this new regime will help me get her to bed at the same time every night as it currently varies from 7:30pm to 10pm.

Having her awake longer also means I need to structure that time. I am splitting her awake time between a few different activities to build her skills. In the morning, she's spends time in her bouncer to build her gross motor skills. I then put her on her back on her play mat so she can reach her toys to build her fine motor skills. In the afternoon, she does tummy time and practices sitting against a cushion. After each feed we read a book.

On top of all of this, I'm starting swimming lessons with her. I downloaded the Laurie Lawrence learn to swim app which prepares children for swimming from their very first bath. It takes you through a step by step process to learn to swim for their first 12 months. I'd already been doing some of it but now I'm starting with breathing conditioning and making it a part of every bath.

It's a lot to do but I use to do it every day when I worked in child care so I need to channel that. It's really important that I focus on developing her skills so she reaches the necessary milestones. It takes a lot of work but I'm committed to do it to ensure her well being. Now it's time to get my little cherub up to start her afternoon workout! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...