Monday, 8 April 2013

Facing a predicament

I got the results of my swab test today and apparently I’m a walking, talking bacteria incubator. Put simply, my cultures grew bacteria, and a lot of it. Not enough that I have a staff infection or something as equally pleasurable, but enough that it has the potential to be causing my discharge and cramps. Answer – take antibiotic cream to kill the bacteria. Problem – you can’t take it when you’re pregnant. Bigger problem – I ovulate tomorrow.

So my predicament – do I take it to clear the bacteria and possibly address my problems, or do I risk falling pregnant and dealing with the ongoing issues throughout my pregnancy? The doctor recommended that we don’t try to get pregnant this month and I take the cream. The problem is we’ve already started trying so there is a very slim possibility that I could end up pregnant. There is nothing I can do about that now because the deed has been done.

I’m a bit annoyed about the timing. We decided to be good little boys and girls and do our sexing on days 12, 14 and 16 just like the fertility specialist told us to. We’d talked about how to manage our energy levels. We had plans in place. We’d worked out a new routine to try and stop unforseen circumstances impacting on us every fertile window. Clearly, we could never have planned for this.

The doctor said there was no rush to take the cream. It was simply just something that I should do because clearly having that bacteria swimming around in you isn’t a good thing, and could lead to a more serious infection. He told me I could try to fall pregnant this month and if that doesn’t work, I take the cream at the end of my next period. That seems pretty simple really.

Given this has been going on for 7 months now, it makes me wonder if this bacteria could have caused the miscarriage, or at least contributed to it in some way. I have no idea but if it could have, it would seem silly to risk putting myself through it again. It also is the first possible, and highly plausible explanation for what’s been going on so I would be stupid to ignore it. Ahh – one of those moments in life where you go it would have been handy to have known that yesterday!

I think all I can do is talk to my husband about it. I’ll do some more research so we can make an informed decision. Then, once that decision is made, I’ll just have to get on with it. In all honesty, I hazard a guess we’ll keep trying this month. Given we already have, I feel the choice has somewhat been taken out of our hands. Timing is indeed everything!   

Image by renjith krishnan
Courtesy of

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...