Thursday 4 April 2013

My new baggage


Three months ago I decided I needed something else to put my mind to – other than being totally consumed by the miscarriage. I took up sewing. This was a challenge for me as I had never sewn before and I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler, let alone sew one. I had no idea what I would like to make but suddenly bags popped into my head. Maybe it was my way of creating that new baggage I was after!

When I started it, I was enormously frustrated by my lack of ability. I was meant to be engaging in an activity that was enjoyable and challenging, but instead it created anxiety and anger – a lot like trying to play golf! But, I persevered and continued to watch You Tube videos and practice, and practice and practice. Eventually, I had so many little bags I had no idea what to do with them so I thought maybe I could start selling them.

I set up my own brand and a shop on Etsy – Fabulona. It was scary to put myself out there like that. I was nervous about whether my skills were good enough, whether my product was good enough and whether people would be interested in it or not. I took some advice and also posted them on Ebay where they finally started to sell.

On top of that, I set up a Facebook page. It was here that my wares were spotted by a shop that sells recycled materials and items made from recycled materials. A lot of my bags are made from old clothes, bed sheets, jeans or rescued material so I was a perfect fit. They contacted me and asked if I would like to sell them through the shop. So, I’m currently working on a consignment for them in an effort to go retail!

I’m still nervous about my product being out there but I just have to tell myself to have faith. I’m enormously proud of myself for sticking to it and working through the frustration. I was so excited the first time I sewed in a straight line without needing pins to guide me. It showed me not to place limitations on myself and if I push myself through my comfort barrier I can achieve amazing things.

I’ve also learnt that you just never know what can happen when you put yourself out there in the world. Sometimes, we just need to be brave enough to try something new and have faith in ourselves that we can achieve what we set out to. And, sometimes we just need to know we can make ourselves a new bag when our previous baggage needs a make-over!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...