Tuesday 11 June 2013

Running the baby marathon


Team Fisty is feeling every single minute of the all the goings on of week 7. I knew it was going to be a big one, I just didn’t know how big!

Today, I’m exhausted. Absolutely, 100% knackered. It didn’t help that I woke up at 4am and couldn’t go back to sleep, but these things happen in pregnancy. I now wake up anytime between 3am and 5am needing to go to the bathroom, and often with a blocked nose. Normally, I get back to sleep ok, but not today.

After spending the last 4 days at home, and being able to rest when I needed to, this morning was brutal. By the time I walked the 10 minutes to the train station, sat on the train for 20 minutes, and walked the 15 minutes to work, I was shattered. I walked in feeling like a husk. I wondered how I would manage the rest of the first trimester, let alone to the end of the year.

I had a meeting with my manager and asked to have Wednesdays off, starting from next week. I need to break up the week and make sure I give myself a rest day. I’ve decided to do this for myself so I can get through the first trimester. Once things settle down I’ll come back to my normal week. But, for the next 5 weeks, my main focus is getting Team Fisty over the line. I am prepared to do whatever it takes to do that. The fact that it’s my birthday next week, and it’s on a Wednesday, is a happy coincidence!

Apparently the early stages of pregnancy are like running a marathon. You don’t think there’s much going on in there. How could there be when you’re walking around with something the size of a blueberry inside you? But, there is, and now I feel it. It’s not just the exhaustion that’s suddenly increased, it’s the nausea, lower abdominal cramps, leg cramps, sore boobs and appetite. It’s like all of a sudden my body is letting me know that it’s working hard to bake these babies!

One of the big things to happen in Week 7 is the baby starts getting it’s nutrition from the umbilical cord. For the first time, the babies are now physically attached to me. Maybe this creates all the extra work. Or, maybe it’s the fact that my HCG levels are probably be around 70,000 now. Given the next few weeks are full of major baby milestones, there is no immediate relief insight.


But, don’t get me wrong, I’m loving every minute of it. I asked the babies to send me whatever they liked and they have. Yesterday, I felt a wave of nausea and tears welled in my eyes. I was overcome with happiness. Everytime I feel any of these things, it means they are still there. It means they are growing and developing. It means I’m a day closer to holding one or two babies in my arms.   

Image by Sura Nualpradid
Courtesy of www.freedigitalphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...