Monday 17 June 2013

Top 10 pregnancy affirmations

Today I’m 8 weeks and the babies are the size of a jelly bean. This week their brain is developing and their neural tube has closed. Their tiny noses, upper lip, arms and legs are all starting to protrude a bit more. The bad thing about pregnancy is you have no idea all of this is happening as it is supposed to. So over the weekend I had a mini-meltdown. Luckily, all the work I’ve done over the last few weeks helped to contain it, but it was still more than I would have liked.

For some reason, my fear hit with a vengeance and I couldn’t shake the thought something was wrong. Peanut kept telling me everything was ok but I couldn’t rest with that. I hadn’t felt symptoms for a few days and something just felt off. I felt very anxious and nervous. I knew it was because the scan was coming up this week. I felt the sameway before the previous scan. I think it’s just my body’s way of trying to prepare itself for possible bad news. It’s just trying to predict the future!

When I’ve had these moments over the past few weeks, I’ve resorted to my affirmations to help calm me down. I repeat them 10 times, everytime a negative thought enters my head. I pick the most relevant one or two as soon as I notice the thought so I get rid of the negative and focus on the positive.

Some of the ones I’ve made up and some are from “Feel the fear and do it anyway” by Susan Jeffers. Here’s my top 10:

  1. I’m relaxed because I can handle whatever happens
  2. I let go and trust that everything is happening perfectly
  3. I trust in myself, my body and my babies
  4. I am powerful and loving and have nothing to fear
  5. I am doing it all perfectly
  6. I’m bringing good things to me
  7. I will give birth to a healthy baby
  8. My enjoyment of this experience depends on me
  9. There will be meaning in whatever happens
  10. My babies are protected by love and light.



I’ve found these statements to be so helpful. I realise being able to push the negative thought out of my brain before I let it take hold is the key to staying as calm and peaceful as I can. And of course, I needn’t have worried. While I had an excess of energy on Saturday, I was sapped dry on Sunday and had a nice bout of nausea to boot. I couldn’t physically do my happy dance because it would have made me sick, but I did it on the inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...