Wednesday 4 December 2013

Boredom strikes


What do you do when boredom strikes on maternity leave? Get the sewing machine out!
I woke up at 7am this morning when my husband got up to go to work. By the time I had a shower, ate breakfast and got dressed, I was ready for the day by 8am. I sat on the couch and wondered what I would do with myself for the day. I had a child care centre tour at 10am but I needed something to do for the rest of the day. The day time tv is becoming too much!

I decided to get the sewing machine out. I wanted to make some gifts for some friends I'm catching up with over the next few weeks that have recently had babies. One of my friend's daughter loves her ribbon comforter so I thought I'd have a go at making some. Basically, they are a stuffed square with ribbon on it that toddlers carry around, lay on, suck on and whatever else takes their fancy.

I was able to make up a pattern for those, and despite a few loose ribbons I didn't manage to catch, they came out pretty well. Although I washed them just to make sure and while I needed to shake them a bit to get them back into shape, I was pretty impressed.

I interrupted my comforter maker to visit the child care centre. It was a lovely centre, just up the road, and close to the train station. It's now my 2nd favourite one so I'm hoping we'll be able to get into one of our top 2. We won't know until mid next year how the places are going but at least I've now got all the child care tours done.

I came home and finished the comforters and had some lunch. I realised I had some spare material so decided to make a cabbage patch wardrobe for Sticky to dress her dolls. I found a pattern online and jumped in. The pattern says you can make 3 or 4 dresses in one hour. I wonder if they meant you can make 1 in 4 hours because that's how long it took me! Mind you, it is the first time I've made anything with sleeves and the pattern didn't properly explain how to do it so I had to have a look at some others and a You Tube video to figure it out! I'm hoping I get faster as I practice more.

So yes, the photo is today's achievements. I feel some degree of accomplishment but I also know that I have another 6.5 weeks to go and I'm wondering what the hell I am going to do with myself. There is only so much sitting around watching tv one can do before one goes nuts. And, you know you're scraping the barrel when you decide to spend the afternoon cleaning out the linen cupboard! 

At least tomorrow I have the obstetrician and a shopping adventure to look forward to. I'm determined to make it my last baby shop so I'm putting the final list together. I'm sure I'll forget something but as long as we have the necessities I'll be happy. Friday I'm catching up with a friend and we are heading to my parents for the weekend to celebrate their 42nd wedding anniversary. Then, it will be Monday, and I'll be back to square one. At this rate, the cabbage patch kids could have a wardrobe to rival Posh Spice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...