Saturday 30 March 2013

An Easter message


Happy Easter all! I hope you are enjoying the holiday with family and friends. I’m not a terribly religious person, but as I think of the meaning of Easter, and how Jesus was resurrected from the dead, I think Jesus and I had a lot in common. In no way do I mean to be disrespectful to the Christian faith, but I’m moved by the fact this weekend is all about rising again.

Jesus’ followers were devastated by his crucifixion – as he died, everything they hoped and believed in died with him. He spent his resurrection restoring their faith. When I had the miscarriage, everything I hoped and believed in for that baby died. I died – of course not literally, but I lost a part of myself that will never be regained. I fell into what I think was a walking death. It’s that state you go into when you are here in body, but definitely not in mind or spirit. You feel like you are simply going through the motions. Like you’re living your life on automatic pilot.

I needed to resurrect myself from that state. I needed to renew my faith. I needed to find a reason to go on living. It took a long time, but I finally got there.

I like the concept of resurrection. It suggests that nothing is strong enough to totally kill us – even death. Nothing is strong enough unless we let it be. While events in our life have the power to push us to the brink, we have the ability to choose to come back to life. There is a sense of peace that comes from staring death in the face and knowing you can survive it. I almost feel like I have a super power in some way. I know I have suffered one of the most painful experiences possible and I survived. Whatever happens to me in the rest of my life, I know I will be ok. I know I am strong. I know I can come back and bring some meaning into mine, and other people’s lives.

So as you celebrate this Easter, and munch on your chocolate eggs, remember the importance of this time of year. It’s about recognising the special things that make us human. Faith. Hope. Spirit. Determination. Drive. Love. Life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...